Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Taper time!

So I've made it to the taper.  With 10 days to go, I don't have much to do but sit around and perseverate about all that I've done.  That said the taper came at right time, last weekend included an ugly 12 mile run and a sweet and fast (at least for me it was fast) 55 mile bike.  So I know I'm ready.  The goal of a taper is to lay low until the race and rest the muscles but it's a fine balance of being cautious of doing too much and not enough.  Here's the problem I personally feel that training for a 70.3 requires too much all the time.  There is always a workout to be done and even when you look at how people taper for these events it seems like a lot.  It doesn't help that I went off the grid with my training 5 or 6 weeks ago and have been doing a hybrid of about 3 different training plans and they all have different suggestions for the taper.  So at this point here's my tentative line up:

Today: 60mins on trainer
Thurs: 45 min swim and 5 mile run
Fri: 45 min swim and 4 mile run
Sat: 40 mile bike
Sun: 10 mile run
Mon: nothing
Tues: 30 min swim and 60 trainer
Wed: 3 mile run
Thurs:  30 min swim and 60 min trainer
Fri: 3 mile run
Sat: plans are still up in the air....thinking maybe a very easy swim/bike combo before the expo
Sun: RACE DAY!!!

Other things that need to happen over the next few days include:
1.  Bike back to shop for squeaky brakes, a tune up and new handlebar tape.
2.  start to think about and organize what is going in the transition bags
3.  talk with Joe about where he'll be on the course
4.  research more the shuttles and where I need to be when come race day
5.  contact The Miriam and let them know about my approx arrival time post race

Trained for 60 mins on bike

1 comment:

Pam said...

I agree, it is always hard to know what's the right amount/intensity for the taper. If you feel great during the taper, you're happy. If you feel like crap, everyone tells you that means you'll have a great race. So that's a win/win, at least. Hopefully your kid is sleeping through the night so you can get your zzz's. Anyway the hay is in the barn, not much you can do but get mentally in the zone. Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!