Sunday, January 13, 2013

Vacation Recap

Back and tanned after a trip to the USVI.  Beautiful place, but a reminder that I should have done my homework prior to getting on the plane.  Our plans involved hitting the beach, getting a tan....repeat x7 days...oh yes, and getting enough runs to maintain sanity and waist size.  No issue as I don't sleep away from home so had planned to head out early from our villa early mornings and get in the miles.  Didn't happen as our villa happened to be a quarter mile up a mountain on an only semi-paved road that went straight up at times.  Tuesday I had it and planned a trail run, again paid for not doing my homework.  I didn't read the part of the guide that stated that my 1.5 mile trail included 1000 feet of climbing that at times required me to climb up rocks with both my hands and feet and pray that I didn't fall as no one in my party knew quite what trail I had gone up.  Miles hiked count the same as miles run, right?  And for the record I didn't have my heart rate monitor but felt like I worked harder that I would have on just a run - maybe it was just the fear of falling that kept the adrenaline going.  Wednesday I redeemed myself and found a flatter 3 miles of trail running at Waterlemon Cay that was unreal in it's beauty.  It's here where I realized that I need more trail running in my life and less Blackstone Blvd.  If it wasn't for the heat and humidity I could have run back and forth all day.   That was it for running, but I did find the most amazing yoga studio at Concordia.  Oh My God is all I have to say.  Open air pavilion overlooking Great Salt Bay.  Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.  Oh, and the teacher was as good as the view.  The yoga alone is reason enough to consider relocating.  I really don't know how I'll go back to yoga as I know it, for that matter running either...it's time to find a prettier place to workout in.

Ran 3 boring flat gray New England miles today.

No comments: