Saturday, December 12, 2009

layers upon layers upon layers

When we headed out today the weather called for 23 degrees feeling more like 19.  Meaning no matter what I wore this was going to be cold and likely fairly uncomfortable.  Now there is a fine art to dressing for winter runs.  The goal is for the fewest possible layers that will keep the sweat away from the skin while also keeping the wind out.  Now when you first step outside it's always a shock to the system but a mile or so in, you start generating heat and don't want to get overheated.  Too few layers and you are going to freeze, too many layers and you will sweat and then freeze!  Also keep in mind that for running it doesn't help to be so bundled that you resemble the kid from A Christmas Story!!  Today I played it safe, 2 pairs of tights with a pair of light pants (only because there is no way I can be seen in public with only the tights).  2 shirts and a light jacket for wind prevention with a hat and gloves.  Overall I was warm enough with getting over heated, next time I need a tighter first layer as my stomach was cold when running into the wind.  That said as I sit and type my fingers are still defrosting.

Miles trained today: 5.1
Days till the Manhattan Half: 47

No comments: