Sunday, July 24, 2011

Low Expectations

Keeping low expectations has gotten me far lately. It kept me going during pregnancy and made labor and delivery easier. Just think about it, if you keep your expectations low then it's hard to get disappointed, especially when you don't know what you are getting yourself into. It has also worked well with this whole parenting thing. More often than not, I have no idea how over my head I really am, so by expecting close to the worst I'm often pleasantly surprised.

I haven't been as successful in implementing this same mindset with running, I think being competitive messes it up for me. Today I was slow getting out there, one thing or another came up as is now the norm for me. When I finally arrived on the treadmill (yes, it's muggy and disgusting again today and I'm not going to make it more misreable than needs to be) I expected to be slow and deal with sore knees again. As I started I realized that things weren't feeling that terrible and ever so slowly kept amping up the pace. Before I knew it I had hit a pre-pregnancy pace and finished all 3 miles without stopping. I realize this isn't much to brag about but it's a milestone that has been difficult to obtain since popping out the kid.

I wish I knew what was the magic formula that made today so much better than yesterday, I had come close to blowing off running for the elliptical. Maybe it's that "F-it" attitude, who knows, or the challenge to beat a certain somebody on the track.

Miles run today: 3

No comments: