Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Calling an end to the pity party...or at least trying to

So today marks the end of my week long pity party. I have been struggling with some pregnancy related pains that aren't getting better and making me a miserable biatch...yes more than my baseline. After yoga last week I took a week off from all exercise, not so much intentionally but it just happened. Happily I can admit that I don't feel any better and am in fact worse...likely not related to the exercise. I'm annoyed for several reasons. One being that I pride myself on my fitness. I'm in good shape. I take care of myself, am obsessive with the foods that enter my body. Not only my physical health but have totally incorporated mindfulness into my everyday life and am in a healthy place all around. So to suddenly be overtaken by this almost chronic pain is ruining my mojo. Running in addition to keeping me fit, keeps me happy. So what's the plan to end this party? I've had it with some of my recent run in's with healthcare providers. If you want to hear an explicative filled rant, ask me about how well PT went. And no, I won't be following up with them. Treatment will consist of the following, acupuncture 1x a month (would love more but my guy took off to New Mexico and I can only see him monthly), Shiatsu e/o week (this was a total shot in the dark but did result in 3 days with lesser pain), and I'm going out on a limb and scheduling with a chiropractor (I've avoided them like the plague for years, makes me nervous). Chiropractors actually appear to have the best success rate in treating this pain so I'm hopeful. Yes, I've written off traditional medical providers for this, not shocking as I've been leaning this way for a while with my own health care. The OB has been informed and she is also at a place on my shit list where I'm telling her the plan rather than waiting to see what idea she can generate next. And for fitness, the kid and I went back to Fitness in the Park today and although I'm writing this with an icepack on my crotch it was great. We both need it and I can make accommodations as needed so we are sticking to that twice a week. I have a call into my running coach for some aqua jogging sessions. As much as I love the pool and swim 2x a week, I'm a lazy swimmer and am hopeful that some sessions with him will keep the heart and sweat rates up. I'm also keeping in the prenatal yoga weekly, again I'm going to have to make some accommodations but I want this more for the breathing aspects that I know will be used during labor/delivery. Likely no more runs outside of our class, which I'm super bummed about. There will be no hard and fast rule about this but for now I have to pull back a little. If I've learned anything this week it's that my expectation of being pain free is likely not realistic but I can get through this and stay healthy both physically and emotionally. I mean come on now, I finished a 70.3, this should be cake. Just please stop asking how I'm feeling unless you want the truth which is I'm in a fucking lot of pain and not pleased about it.

No comments: