Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just an easy 6

So today I was focused on getting though the run.  I struggle on Saturday's because it's a change in my routine.  I have to run during the daylight and with other people, more than what I'm used to.  In the past I have done my long runs on other days and kept Saturday's shorter, but would like to try to keep the long runs on Saturday's, at least for the Manhattan half.  

It was an easy enough route, out and back on the bike path.  I was surprised with how calming it became, especially once on the bike path.  Turning down towards the water and away from the parkway things got quiet.  Other's running with us had pulled ahead much earlier and there weren't many other people out today.  It was just quiet, I noticed that I stopped thinking about how to run, and where I was on the run.  It wasn't until my watch beeped and told me to turn around that I came back into focus.  

Retracing our steps back, the city was more awake than how we had left it.  More people out and about and we chatted more heading back.  I did have a sense of calm lingering from the first few miles though.  I was surprised when we hit Waterman, indicating the very end of the run.  I had expected to struggle more and was pleased to see we were slightly ahead of my goal pace.  Maybe this Saturday morning routine will take hold.

Miles trained today: 6
Days till the Manhattan Half: 64

No comments: