Sunday, September 4, 2011

Difference between wanting and needing

I really want a new bike. I really don't need a new bike. In an effort to change this want to a need I'm trying to ride a bit more than once a year. To say there is nothing wrong with my bike is an understatement, it's a disastrously old antique like thing. It hasn't been well maintained and although gets me from point A to B, I would get there faster with a new ride. That said I think I got it for $20 on craigslist a few years ago so won't complain about it. Today we hit the country roads of Swansea and Rehoboth; not really a hilly route but not bike path flat either. I have to say it was much nicer than running would have been. When we started it was 82 degrees and up to 87 by the time we hit the parking lot on the way home, but on the bike it didn't feel nearly that hot. Since having a kid I've lost my desire to go crazy with my running training and have really enjoyed throwing in some swims and rides in addition to the runs. Lately, being in the water or on a bike feels a hell of a lot better than the running has felt. The other draw is that both biking and swimming are not kid friendly activities. I feel a bit guilty if I take off on a run without the kid but this morning I didn't think twice about going for a ride without him. Judge me if you like, but doing things like this solo makes me better able to deal when at home. So back to the desire for a new ride, if I compete in 1-2 more tri's this season and ride at least once a week for the next 2 months I feel that I would have been able to change my want to a need. The problem with this plan is that it's an awful lot of miles on my old purple people eater.

Miles biked today: 17.7

No comments: