Sunday, September 18, 2011

FUNtastic Tri 2011 Race report

Pregame – Again I didn’t do much in this area and likely should have been better prepared but what can I say. The night before was Chinese food and a few beers. That morning, I had almonds and dried apricots followed by a cliff bar. Once I was waiting around in my wetsuit I realized I was hungry but it was too late.

Swim .25 in 10:31 - This was by far the most challenging swim I’ve done to date. I was terrified when I pulled up and saw how choppy the ocean was. Surf report had the waves measured at 2 feet, doesn’t sound like much but it was very disorienting. Several times I found myself completely out of the water after swimming up a wave only to then land and get a mouthful of water. A few people in my wave were pulled from the water before reaching the buoy. The water temp was 62 degrees and the air was 65 at start time so it was cold. There was also a strong current pulling us across the beach. In addition to the water conditions the water was very shallow for quite a ways so going in and coming out there was a good deal of walking. Heading out this wasn’t bad but coming back in I’m not sure if I stood too early or was exhausted from the swim but I had a hard time getting out of the water. I also miscalculated how to adjust for the current, I thought it would impact going out but it was the swim back in where I found myself really fighting to stay on track and sighting was really impaired by the height of the waves. All of that said it was my fastest ocean swim by 2 almost 2 minutes so the training is paying off.

T1 in 2:58 - This transition was never ending or at least that’s how it felt. I had a hard time getting on my shoes b/c I couldn’t feel my toes. I did simplify my transition area and found it much easier to maneuver during the transitions. The transition area for this race was fairly roomy, but the center walkways got littered by people’s belongings making it a bit dicey.

10m bike in 37:31 - I got to break in the new ride, an orbea aqua dama, and what a ride it was! Finally I had some speed on the road and really enjoyed it. The loop was great, 5 out and back, heading back had a nasty headwind that would have destroyed me on the old bike but this time around I was able to hold my own. I need to come up with a better nutrition system, I spent the first mile fighting to open my shot blocks. I’m looking forward to more races with the new ride and seeing what I’m able to do as I get more comfortable with it.

T2 in .56 - Short and quick. I still couldn’t feel my toes from the water. I did stop and get a sip of water and believe that was a smart move. I think this transition area was helped by the simplification of my area as a whole.

5k run in 32:06 - Beautiful run on the beach! Out and back. This was actually the best feeling run and a PR for the run part of tri’s for me. It’s the running with the jogging stroller that is really helping me here. I stopped at both water stops at miles 1 and 2. The sand was nicely packed for the whole run and it was GORGEOUS! I knew I felt good so I just enjoyed myself and didn’t push the pace. Coming across the finish line I was announced as the “Pride of North Providence”.

Overall 1:24: - This was a great event that was very well organized and supported. One of the most beautiful courses I’ve done to date. Fastest ocean swim, fastest pace on bike (but shortest distance), best T2 time and fastest 5k time so I’m thinking this counts as a PR?? All the training I’m doing seems to be paying off. The goal of this race was to help calm the nerves and I mentally felt better today as compared to how worked up I’ve been at previous events.

No comments: