Sunday, August 5, 2012

The pain of other's is my pleasure!

Yesterday the kid and I came out in support of Fully's marathon training, we hung for 10 of her 13 miles in the brutal humidity.  It felt better than expected, in fact all of my long runs since the 70.3 have been almost fun, so there were a few terrible thoughts that crept in.  Maybe I should sign up?  It's time for another one, and no I don't mean a kid.  But after a brief reality check I reminded myself that I hate the marathon and the marathon gods hate me too.  It's fun to join in an awful long run when you don't have to be there.  So fast forward to today which might take the award for most frustrating fitness day ever.  I could scream about squeaky brakes and bike mechanics but I will save that for another post.  So in the afternoon when I should have been out on my phat whip I was pouting in the kitchen convincing Jenn that it was time for her to woMAN up and run another 26.2.  Unlike me, she loves the marathon and the marathon gods are kind to her in return.  I do think that if Lou (her squeeze) could have, he would have slapped me for applying the peer pressure, he's not a runner.  While I'm twisting her arm about the Cape Cod Marathon, Joe makes a wise ass comment and finds himself in my sights.  10 minutes later and he's in.  Yep folks...the Macedo's are coming back to marathon training.  Well, I'm not...I hate the marathon....but Joe is and I'm pumped.  This means I get to pour over hand written training plans, plot out long runs, play with goal paces...I'm already getting too excited about it.  In our life pre-child all we did for a number of years was train and race together and although there is a lot of training and racing happening in our house it hasn't felt like old times.  Joe hasn't been training and it's got to be the both of us for it to feel right.  So today when we finally got out there for this complex web of workouts that involved the car, a bike, the stroller and 3 pairs of shoes (no heels, 2 for running and 1 for the bike) it just felt right.  83 days to go, and man the marathon is so much more fun when it's not your race!

Trained for 14 miles on the bike and 2.5 running.

1 comment:

Jose said...

Hey.... By the way, I think I know this Jenn (from Webster right?). ....she did her first marathon a couple months before me. She should be ready for another one. Tell her to go for it!!!