Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A different spin on the family fun run

I need to address Boston as a runner and a human.  I can't make sense of it and have a hard time thinking too hard about it.  Those were my friends and family out there running and cheering.  I spent an afternoon like many frantic for updates about where people were and if they were ok.  My cousin is 18, a freshman in college.  This was her first Marathon Monday as a cute college girl on the side lines cheering for strangers and likely drinking too many beers.  I worried about her.  My running club was well supported at the race, your track friendships are hard to explain to those who don't have them, I worried about all of them.  I worried about my running friends who would happen to be up taking in the day.  I worry about future events.  I worry more about the world my 22 month old son will have as his reality.

All of that said, I'm still running and finally got my ass out there on the road on a Wednesday.  It was just the kind of run I needed.  Hysterical!  Me pushing the kid in the jogger.  Joe circling the Blvd slowly on his bike waiting for us to be finished.  Jen running next to me.  Here's where it gets really funny.  Her 4 year old running on our heels for what had to have been a mile and a half.  We are huffing and puffing and this little guy is breezing along next to us, like nothing.  Then behind Parker is Jeff, pushing a stroller...wearing kahki's!  Way to make me feel out of shape and slow!  All I have to say is the last quarter mile consisted of Jen signing the Insy Wincy Spider to Miles so that he'd remain in the stroller.  Just when you think we are done and can slowly jog into their driveway Parker announces a race to the finish and takes off.  Jeff threatens our lives yelling "!!HE CAN'T WIN!!" My saving grace is that I did not have to follow the stop.at.the.stop.sign.and.wait.for.a.parent.rule and totally made him cry by coming in first...to only have my win later contested :)

Ran 3+


No comments: