Saturday, January 1, 2011

What a difference a year makes

This time last year I was training for the Providence Marathon, going on and on about 40-50 miles a week. All that talk and if I recall correctly that training program ended up in disaster with my running shoes tossed in a corner and my feet at the mercy of PT for what seemed like an endless amount of time. This date a year ago it was too cold and I was too hungover to run the Hangover Classic. Fast forward 1 year and here I sit, happy when I get 20 miles a week, looking for nothing longer than a 10k. Completed the Hangover Classic without a hangover and with warm temps. My running is no longer centered around endless training logs, rather a weekly countdown to June 19th and Junior's arrival. My races aren't chosen based on distance, swag, or location; rather if they have port-a-john's on the course. But a new year and I'm still running. This year will bring a new set of challenges. How much longer can I run without teetering over, (I am getting a bit top heavy)? What will running be like when Junior arrives? What jogging stroller to buy and will Joe agree to push it for the first 9 months? Will there be time for training in the future? I'm confident that I'll figure most of these issues out, and those I don't figure out I'll learn to live with. Junior has raced with me 6 times so far and has at least one more scheduled event on the books before retiring until June. Who knows maybe I'm growing the next Meb or Paula!

Miles trained today: 5

No comments: