Wednesday, June 24, 2009

2nd Helping

So this is my last week before a recovery week. I have been very good about hitting my mileage for the last 2 weeks and not coming up short. Like clockwork, things are starting to fray this week.

Up until this point we had been running 6 days a week, I'm sick of that. So this week we decided for 5 days of running with 2 days off, one being Sunday after a long run. It was all good until we missed a run on Tuesday. I know, I know, but we were on vacation and we had the dogs. Excuses, excuses, that's how it all begins! Regardless we could still get the 5 days in, but we are running 10 on Saturday and I do NOT want to run on Sunday. What does that leave me with? Running twice a day!!! Yeah, I'm not thrilled about it either. I've read about other runners doing this and talked to other's in the running club who partake. I've even planned to do this in the past and chickened out in the last minute. Come on now! I like running, but to do it morning and night, you have to be certifiable!

I found myself out there at 5 this morning for a nice easy 3 miles. It felt good, of course it did....3 miles after 2 days off!! All day long track weighted on me like a root canal. Work went by fast and before I knew it I was lacing up my sneaks for the second time today, and it was not for a walk. To top it off, I had to run extra at track to get the miles in. We did 10x200m, meaning the workout was only going to be 2.5 miles. I was going to have to extend both the warm up and cool down. This was going to be torture, I should contact the CIA regarding new interrogation techniques! I would have done close to anything to get out of track tonight! Things were going a long well, my legs had forgotten about this morning's run and before I knew it we were in the midst of the workout. We made quick work of that and I even convinced my compadries to run extra with me on the cool-down. I felt things tightening up on the last lap.

Overall, not as bad as expected, the bigger problem is that I have to do it again tomorrow. I know I am yet again breaking a cardinal training rule, don't try to make up for missed miles. What can I say...I'm going to run the NYC marathon and going to run every training mile even if it means running twice a day, two days in a row!!

Days till NYC: 129
Miles trained today: 8.8

No comments: