Saturday, June 13, 2009

Off to the races

Today was the Gaspee Day 5k, my first 5k since last Memorial Day. For the first time i woke the morning before a race with a calm stomach. In the past I have been a ball of nerves before races, no matter the distance. Today, I didn't care. I know I can run 3 miles and I know how fast I can do it. The only problem was, rather than hydrate with water last night I chose adult beverages and wasn't feeling in top athletic condition. No matter, I can do this.

We parked about a mile from the start and jogged in. I don't believe in warming up but after today I might be sold on the idea. In the end I think it helped my finishing time. My plan had been to run with Roselee and pace myself. The plan had been for 2 9 min miles and then to go all out on the last mile. Just before the gun went off I said "lets be sure not to go out too fast". What did I do? I went out too fast. The start of a race is like being sucked out to sea by the ocean's currents. You just go and pay for it later! The first mile was an 8:30. We had been passing people left and right. Of course I paid for it on the second mile and lost some speed going up a hill. I was surprised to see how many spectators were out there. The race is followed by a parade and there were people lining both sides of the street for the length of the race. Mile 2 we were at 17:35. At about this point I started to curse the pomegranate martini from last night. I was so thirsty, at times thought about grabbing a drink from someone hands but decided that might be unacceptable. We turned to the home stretch at 27 mins and finished at 27:42. An 8:54 pace!! YAHOOOOO!!!!

Now I need a few lines to complain here, so bear with me. I ran well and ran hard but the finish was ruined by piss poor organization. I was told to stop running several yards before the finish line and spend the next 2 minutes walking across the finish line and through the chute. Some volunteers were telling us to stay in order, others were yelling to just keep moving. It was completely unacceptable and in very poor form. Get it right people. Runners care about every second and to have to waste minutes at the finish is disgusting. I have to say I'm not sure I'll keep this race on my list for next year.

Ok, I feel better after my vent! I can't complain about my time and learned that next Friday before the race I will stick to water :)

Days till NYC: 140
Miles trained today: 4.2

No comments: