Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday = Long-Day

We got up this morning (after a late night, including giving the dog a bath at mid-night after she rolled in something dead) to find it was raining, AGAIN. Now I still wasn't over the downpour we ran in on Friday and not really motivated to get off the sofa so we decided to wait it out. I was a little nervous about it as I had to get the miles in, and can't run tonight. Luckily the rain subsided and we headed out a little after 10am.

During yesterday's race I really lost some time on the hills and feel like I need to build some hills into my regular routine. We ran up Hope St and I tried to stay on pace, but my legs had not forgotten the race from yesterday. I was a little slower than I would have liked but couldn't expect much more. The other issue we faced today that it got hot pretty quickly. I know I shouldn't complain, but it really sucks to run with the sun beating down on you.

We had headed out for 8 miles and decided to break it up into 2 loops. After the first 4 miles we were all pretty warm, I have to admit there was some debate about finishing the run. It being Sunday and all of us facing a call from Bob tonight we decided we had no good excuse and kept going. I didn't have it in me to run up Hope again so we headed down the Blvd. Things felt pretty good at that point, with most of the miles behind us things started to pick up. Heading down Elmgrove for the last time I was exhausted. This was my 5th day in a row of running including 2 days of speed work. I tried tofocus on my form but even that suffered a little. There is only so much my body will put up with. We came up to the car a little short of the 8 mile goal, 7.6 but that was close enough.

After recovering with water, iced coffee and yogurt I have to admit I'm feeling great after the run. Part of it is really loving coming back from the injury and being able to put in the miles and also being out on the roads for a chunk of time is just good for the soul. Nothing really matters when you are out running, it's time to just unwind and get re-centered. I needed it after this past week!

Days till NYC: 139
Miles trained today: 7.6
Miles trained this week: 30.8

No comments: