Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Off the dreadmill and onto the Blvd

This on-the-real-road-speed-work brought to you by Heather who graciously took the kid so I could run freely.  Can we discuss that she took him while managing her own pintsized terror at the same time?  Oh and also she put me back together following my "I-don't-have-power-and-can't-deal-with-life" melt down.  I moped on her fancy couch for a while and had she offered me a cup of coffee I would have stayed and cried into my cup while trying to defrost my toes.  Too bad for me she's a tea drinker and I needed to run   Today's workout should have been 3-4 1 mile repeats at an 8:20pace.  I promised Bob that I'd take these workouts seriously and put forth some real effort, so although I skipped the recommended 30 minute warm up I did warm up with a half mile jog to the end of the Blvd.  Not having the dreadmill to determine my speed I had a hard time staying at the goal pace.  First mile ended up at 8/:04, not too shabby if I don't say so myself.  I timed my recovery and after 3 minutes headed back for the 2nd miles.  This one felt good as it should being fully warmed up and heading down hill.  Time came in at 7:57.  After another 3 minutes it was time to go again and this one hurt...thought my coffee and english muffin were going to come back up and join me. Finally reached the gate and clocked 8:05.  Only a second difference between miles 1 and 3 (both uphill, same mile).  Given how terrible the 3rd mile felt I called it a day and jogged back to my car for a cool down.  So I agree, there are more benefits to doing these on the road/track rather than in the gym, I need to get better at getting a feel for my pace.  Tomorrow we are back at Lincoln Woods and hoping for a day of no electrical company glitches.

Ran 4+ miles today

No comments: