Thursday, August 27, 2009

ARGH!

I did the unthinkable...I cut my run short...by 5 miles. Yep, I did it. And I don't plan on scrambling to make them up either. Today is Thursday, I should feel better. I don't. Limping through the miles isn't going to help anything, and after hanging my official NYC marathon map in my office I'm going to run this race no matter what.

Interestingly enough though we had dinner with another back of the pack runner tonight and discussed what training means for us. For someone running a 7 min mile it is going to take them less time to get through their miles, both on the track and during the week. For me to run 7, I'm out there for 70 minutes and that's a good night. Do that 5 times in a week and I'm out there for close to 6 hours and that doesn't even count my long run, add another 2-3 hours. That's a long time to be upright and pounding on your feet. I'm not claiming that I am working harder than those who can run faster, but it's a much different wear and tear. Unfortunately there is not a lot out there geared to those of us who run in the back of the pack, please NEVER call me a jogger, I'll have to hurt you. And there are even fewer of us who run longer distances and even fewer who have the gall to compare ourselves to the faster runners. Just because I take longer doesn't mean I don't take my training as seriously and maybe it's time to really look at what it means for people like me. What should a training plan look like for someone who is training for a 10+ marathon pace?

So what does this all mean? I'm not sure, today I backed off the miles. I'm hoping that tomorrow I feel a little better and can handle finishing out my miles. I will continue to aim for high miles every week, but I have to know when my joints and muscles have had it, and that may come sooner than I like.

Days till NYC: 65
Miles trained today: 2.5

No comments: