Sunday, August 2, 2009

Oh what a weekend

My issue with running is that you can't predict the good runs from the bad runs. I understand that not everyone is going to be my best performance but it can really be a downer when you unexpectedly have a bad run. We did on Saturday. Oh, it was terrible. This was our first long run beyond the half marathon distance, and sort of the kick off to the long runs we'll be facing over the next few months. If it was a predictor of what's to come, I'm going to pass, I'll go back to the pool please. In hindsight we made some very obvious mistakes in terms of hydration and being prepared for the humidity, things that we'll change going forward. I can't spend too much time complaining because we got in the 15 miles and didn't feel terrible afterward. It's hard you want to analyze your training runs and understand what you can learn from them, but also have to be careful to not beat yourself up over them either. It's one run among many and will be quickly forgotten!

There was no time to rest though because today was the Run 4 Kerri. We don't normally run after our long runs but today we were determined. What's 4 miles? We can do this! The nice thing about today was that it was a better run than yesterday's and helped to restore some confidence. It forced us to get over ourselves and move on. I am pleased to announce that even though we decided we would not "race" today, it was just going to be a run, I beat my time in 07 by a full minute! I'm still not the fastest runner out there, but I'm better than I was. Gives me hope that when we finally hit the roads of NYC I'll be ready to tackle it with the same confidence I had today.

I'll move on from Saturday's run, and accept that I'll probably have a few more rough runs before 11/1, but is it too much to ask for a warning first?

Days till NYC: 90 (Yikes!)
Miles trained today: 4

No comments: